I forked Phlow’s excellent “Feeling Responsive” repository about a month ago, to create this website. I hacked away at config files, added posts, and deleted demo data.
Since I’d starred Phlow’s repo on GitHub, I noticed that he was continuing to commit fixes and improvements (after I’d forked the repo), and I wanted to incorporate those fixes into my fork, without having to worry about all my changes conflicting with the original demo content.
I tried to get my head around
git rebase, but that although I found some useful instructions, I don’t think I’ve entirely understood how this is supposed ot work.
Instead, I managed to use
git merge with great success, by doing the following:
- Add upstream repo as a remote:
git remote add upstream https://github.com/Phlow/feeling-responsive.git
- “Fetch” the upstream repo (I guess this creates a local copy of the upstream repo’s commits)
git fetch upstream
- “Merge” the upstream repo it really was as simple as
git merge upstream/gh-pages
I ended up with two conflicts:
[david:~/Documents/Projects/blog] test_merge ± git merge upstream/gh-pages Auto-merging pages/documentation.md CONFLICT (modify/delete): pages/changelog.md deleted in HEAD and modified in upstream/gh-pages. Version upstream/gh-pages of pages/changelog.md left in tree. Auto-merging index.md CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in index.md Removing assets/img/windows-8-tile-icon-144x.png Removing assets/img/touch-icon-iphone-retina-120x.png Removing assets/img/touch-icon-iphone-60x.png Removing assets/img/touch-icon-ipad-retina-152x.png Removing assets/img/touch-icon-ipad-76x.png Removing assets/img/touch-icon-android-152x.png Removing assets/img/favicon-32x.png Auto-merging _drafts/design/2015-10-11-no-header.md Auto-merging _drafts/design/2014-09-10-portfolio.md Auto-merging _config.yml CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in _config.yml Auto-merging README.md Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result. [david:~/Documents/Projects/blog] test_merge(+42/-0) 1 ± git status On branch test_merge You have unmerged paths. (fix conflicts and run "git commit")
git status to identify any issues which needed fixing, and manually resolved 2 minor conflicts. I used
git rm to delete a file I’d already deleted in my local repo.
git status reported no more issues (just files which were going to be added / deleted / changed), I was able to run
git commit -m 'merged with upstream', and successfully merged all the upstream goodness!